MichieHamlett started in 1946 when Thomas J. Michie returned to Charlottesville after World War II to form a partnership with Junius R. Fishburne, known as Michie and Fishburne. Mr. Michie served as mayor of Charlottesville for a time.
The firm located in an office building that had originally been a stable. It was owned by the Michie Company at 601 East Market Street. Remains of the sign painted on the front of the building “Charlottesville Horse and Mule Co.” can still be seen. Some said the horses were gone but the mules remained.
Michie and Fishburne hired John T. Camblos in 1949 and Charles A. Via in 1951. In 1952, Junius R. Fishburne accepted an offer to become the head of the trust department of People’s National Bank (now NationsBank). The firm became Michie, Camblos & Via.
In 1958, Charles A. Via left the firm and the firm merged with Robert E. Taylor and Edward H. Deets and continued the practice of law under the name of Michie, Taylor, Camblos and Deets. Lewis A. Martin Jr. subsequently became a partner and the firm became Michie, Taylor, Camblos, Deets & Martin. Mr. Taylor served as president of the Virginia State Bar in 1958.
Thomas J. Michie, Jr., joined the firm in 1959. In 1961, President John F. Kennedy appointed Thomas J. Michie United States District Judge for the Western District of Virginia. The firm became Taylor, Camblos, Deets, Martin & Michie. Mr. Michie, Jr., was chairman of the Charlottesville School Board and a member of the Virginia General Assembly for 20 years, serving first as a member of the House of Delegates and later as a state senator. (Left-interview with Tom Michie)
In 1963, Edward H. Deets and Lewis A. Martin Jr. withdrew from the firm and shortly thereafter John T. Camblos withdrew. The firm name then became Taylor, Michie and Callaghan.
Leroy R. Hamlett joined the firm in 1969; Brian J. Donato joined in 1970; and Edward B. Lowry joined in 1971. In 1974, Robert E. Taylor became “of counsel” but the name of the firm remained the same until 1976 when Robert E. Taylor and Richard S. Callaghan withdrew. Thereafter the firm became Michie, Hamlett, Donato & Lowry.
In 1974, the firm purchased unfinished space in the old Monticello Hotel, which had been converted into a condominium. The firm bought about three quarters of the third floor, which originally consisted of the ballroom, kitchen and front club rooms. About a year later the firm purchased the last quarter of the floor, known as the “Jackson Room.”
Bruce D. Rasmussen joined the firm in 1973, and Ronald R. Tweel joined in 1975. In 1987, Brian J. Donato withdrew, and the name of the firm became Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel.
In 1989, the partnership firm formed a professional corporation, Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel, P.C., and purchased space on the second floor of the 500 Court Square condominium, the former Monticello Hotel, consisting of the dining room and kitchen.
In 2009, the firm adopted the shortened name MichieHamlett for use in marketing materials, although the name MichieHamlett Lowry Rasmussen & Tweel remained the official designation.
Michie & Fishburne 1946
Michie, Camblos & Via 1952
Michie, Taylor, Camblos & Deets 1958
Michie, Taylor, Camblos, Deets & Martin 1959
Taylor, Camblos, Deets, Martin & Michie 1961
Taylor, Michie, & Callaghan 1963
Michie, Hamlett, Donato & Lowry 1976
Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel 1987
Michie, Hamlett, Lowry, Rasmussen & Tweel, P.C. 1989
MichieHamlett Lowry Rasmussen & Tweel PLLC 2004